We bring the FAST and laughs to pharmacy.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Greetings from up north!

I'm Dromedary (Dairy) Queen 'cause I bust my humps in my Pharmacy. I've been a tech for over 3 years at two different pharmacy chains and have already tired of some of the madness that is becoming a regular occurrence in my world. Case in point - we do get scripts from vets for animals once in a while, but this one was truly memorable. Guy comes to the window and hands me a script for his kitty. I ask him his cat's name, and he gives it to me. Then he hands me his insurance card and says "I want to bill this to my insurance." I look at the card - ok sir, you have the same name as your cat, how interesting. Being fresh out of college, I tell my boss the situation. He rolls his eyes, and walks me thru this learning exercise of billing insurance for humans only. What a shocker - it's not covered. I go back to the counter and say with a straight face: " So apparently your insurance company does not consider your cat to be a dependent. That's $$$$ today, sir." His eyes shoot daggers at me as I smile and hand him his card back and wish him a pleasant evening. The boss and I laughed our heads off once he was out of sight.

Dairy Queen

10 comments:

McFury CPhT said...

This happens all the time at my pharmacy. Then of course when they (the human) comes to pick up they can't remember what name the vet could have possible called it in for.

The best are when the have a script for a cat/dog/bird/wtfever, and they want a coupon/gift card for brining their animals business here. Not worth it.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

I've had patients try to bring pets in to see me for seizures. Maybe I should post one of those stories.

Outrider said...

I've had clients ask me to write prescriptions in the name of the client, not the animal, but I won't do it and make this clear to clients. My veterinary license does not allow me to prescribe medications for humans, just as physicians cannot write prescriptions for animals.

Filet-o-bitch RPh said...

Yeah, Dr. Grumpy, post one!! I think one of our owners is taking his pet's valium. He comes in q o week for something that is to be taken prn storms?? Yeah...

Big 'N Tasty RPH said...

At McDruggie's we have a discount plan that covers pets, even if it is a compounded drug. We have several people who use the plan just for that purpose. I am not sure that pet insurance plans cover drugs. It is also a good idea to have phone numbers and addresses of 24 hour emergency vet clinics handy for those after hours animal queries. Pharmacy school did not offer a class on vet meds so I don't recommend anything I always refer to a vet.

Burger Doodle Chicks said...

We do alot of veterinary work out here, my favorite question was about the alpaca with an eye infection....at least no one is bringing pets to the drive-thru window for anything more than a treat! (so far...)

Filet-o-bitch RPh said...

Welcome to all the new bloggers!!

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious...I have a compounded prescription filled at the pharmacy every month for my cat. One of my coworkers asked if I filed the claims with our insurance. I had to explain that pets are not considered eligible dependents, and I'm only paying for single coverage anyway!

Just a little snarky said...

"I think one of our owners is taking his pet's valium. "

Wow. I could not even imagine someone would do this. I learn a lot on these blogs.

TiredRPh said...

We had a woman who was taking her dogs hycodan pills. Yes I said pills. It was sad.