We bring the FAST and laughs to pharmacy.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hidden Hazards of Pharmacy I: Muzak

It's pervasive. It's...perky. It's all the music you thought you'd never have to hear again...and it plays again and again and again, every day. You can set your watch by the strains of "Leroy Brown", "Blue Suede Shoes" or, heaven forbid, "Dancing Queen." And that's on a regular, non-Holiday season day. Starting the day after Thanksgiving, every odd-ball rehash of the once-loved Christmas classics is thrown at us, making it impossible to sing along, totally ruining whatever Christmas spirit there might be left lurking in my heart.

Some days are even more disturbing, as the songs that were popular in our own hey-days are played...but changed, redone by bands not even born when the originals were released.

The worst is when you're mindlessly bopping along to a rare, old favorite...and someone catches you at it. Or, when 2 am rolls around and you're thinking of things you might have left undone, the faint strains of the day's soundtracks starts rolling through your thoughts, as if hearing it once wasn't bad enough!

Where is the defense for this, the subtle mind-bending of innocent pharmacy staff? They never warned us about this!

Beware of the Muzak brain worms!
Burger Doodle Chicks

5 comments:

Jeremy said...

You gotta get a radio! The Muzak in my current store is very quiet, if it exists at all, which is strange. They probably just play subliminal messages very quietly or something.

Anyway the radio keeps us from getting bored.

Burger Doodle Chicks said...

I'd love to, but they very considerately put a muzak speaker right above the rx filling area, any more noise and we'd have to shout to be heard. I tried that first, even brought my ipod and speakers and everything, but alas, no joy, just drivel.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Yeah, those intrumental versions of "Who are you" drive me nuts.

Big 'N Tasty RPH said...

"Who who, who who!"

Terry K said...

As the Universe's retribution for my producing the 22-minute extended dance remix of Human League's "Don't You Want Me", I was trapped in an elevator at a mall when some kid broke the button box, and what do I hear but the Muzak'd version of my 22-minute mix. Made me want to bash my head out through the glass.