We bring the FAST and laughs to pharmacy.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Something to Ponder

A guy came in to get his bowel prep for the ever joyful colonoscopy. It was Halflytely. I explained to him how to mix it up and use it and we joked about the bad taste. He asked me if he could mix it with beer instead of water.

I told him that would probably taste much worse than mixing with water and it is not recommended to drink alcohol before a colonoscopy. Didn't he read the multi-page prep list from his doc? Otherwise it would be Half Lite Ly by Schlitz. Either way you get to crap a ton of liquid.

7 comments:

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Do they still make Schlitz?

The Redheaded Pharmacist said...

Well, Miller Lite always had "Less Filling" in their advertising campaigns. I can't think of a more appropriate validation of less filling than this!

TRP

Big 'N Tasty RPH said...

They do still make Schlitz. I used it as an example because my neighbors had a huge party while I was at work one Saturday night and there were a couple of Schlitz cans in my yard when I got home.

kg said...

I am doing the Trilyte prep as I write this...the info from the doc did not say no alcohol!! And, hey, it's a clear liquid! (I wouldn't do that, but I wouldn't put it past some folks.)

Just a little snarky said...

Doctors, do your prep instructions say "no red jello"? It mimics blood in the intestines.

I remember the prep. Had my first colonoscopy a few years back. Take meds, grab toilet, and HOLD ON for dear life!

Big 'N Tasty RPH said...

All of the patients I have seen for bowel prep have a huge list of don'ts. I think it would be funny if they all drank grape Kool-Aid before bowel prep so everything looks green in the intestinal lining. Don't beleive me? Drink grape Kool-Aid and see if your crap doesn't come out a lovely shade of green.

Jackass in the Box RPh said...

I've had almost this exact counselling session once before, and I think the guy was serious. He's shown up at our drive-thru with a beer in his hand on more than one occasion.