We bring the FAST and laughs to pharmacy.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

This happened to me awhile ago at work, and I still get burned up thinking about it:

I was out in the OTC aisle for some reason, and this well-dressed lady came up to me and said: Can I ask you a question? I said sure. She goes on to say that her 9 year old daughter has felt very itchy between her legs for a few days now and wants to know how to make the itch disappear. First, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor, as I have a daughter around that age, and if she were ever to tell me that she was itchy in her southern regions, we would be going to the doctor Right Away! I asked the customer if she has taken her daughter to see a doctor yet. Then comes my next jawdrop. She goes on to say that they do not have time to see a doctor, as she works a high-powered job, her daughter has 3 hours of private school homework every night, plus important extra curricular activities, and that they have no desire to burden the medical system for something so trivial. All sorts of things are spinning through my head (none of them particularly good!) so I said that without a definitive diagnosis even from a walk-in clinic physician, I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending a product that may or may not be effective for your daughter. Poor kid. While you're at it, maybe get yourself a lifestyle overhaul for your family - sounds like they could sure use one.

8 comments:

C said...

I hope someone punches that lady in the dam* neck. What a dipshi*

amazonmom said...

WOW. I hold a full time job as an ICU nurse, my husband has a full time job too...and I am bipolar...and I still MANAGE TO TAKE MY KID TO THE DOCTOR!!! My kiddo has extensive milk allergy (not sensitivity) and I took her to the doc a LOT until we figured it out. Even when it was inconvenient.

Anonymous said...

The fact that you are not a nurse, pharmacist or physician would not stop you from making a product recommendation?

Unchained Pharmacist said...

Interesting, people in my area who fit that profile would drag their kid to MD's office (or have the nanay drag the kid), and demand to be seen right away.

Doesn't want to burden the medical system with something so TRIVIAL. Maybe it's trivial for you to have an itch there, but not for a child.

Common sense? Maternal instinct?

The Ole' Apothecary said...

So, to her a pharmacist is not part of the healthcare system. And, it also seems that she asked you only because you were outside of the pharmacy department, so the whole question might be whimsical to her.

Big 'N Tasty RPH said...

Legally, most states do not let technicians or interns make any therapy recommendations.

C said...

I don't know, but when a pharmacist recommends going to the doctor, I take that as a green light for a worthy visit.

I'm not a doctor, I'm not a nurse but damn, I am a Mom.

Anonymous said...

In regards to Anonymous' remark, as a tech I won't make a recommendation, but I will also filter out questions that are not with a clear solution instead of asking the pharmacist to tell the patient to get their kid some treatment from a doctor or urgent care clinic. I guess Anonymous must be an expert to be pointing fingers though.......